Friday, September 19, 2014

First month of college

          My first month of college, for the most part, has not been what I expected. I did expect a lot of assignments at one time, and the stress of trying to get them all completed with Excellency, but I didn't expect it to be this easy. I understand that this is my first year of college and that it is going to get harder and harder as I go, but at the moment it just seems like I am re-learning things that I already learned in high school.

          I think that I may have over prepared myself for college in a way. I created college in my head as: me being an outsider, having mean teachers, not being able to have the slightest bit of a social life, and homework that made me cry every night because it was too much for me to handle. Thankfully my experience so far has been the complete opposite. I have made a few friends, my teachers are all awesome, I have found a way to manage my friends, family, and work, and my homework assignments are actually interesting, so I have no problem doing them. I am still trying to figure out how to balance my everyday life with my college life, but with the fantastic support system I have, I know that I will be able to successfully get through School. 

           My strengths in college is making sure I know what all of my assignments are, and making sure that they are completed and turned in on time if not early. Another strength that I have is also my weakness, and that is time management. Depending on the class, my time management varies. For the classes I enjoy I arrange my time very well with knowing exactly when I will finish the assignment. For my harder and boring classes I tend to procrastinate on my assignments and wait until the last minute to start them. I do that because when I feel like I don't understand the class I don't do the work so I don't get stressed out, even though that system doesn't help me in any way. My biggest challenge is going to be self pressure. I want to get straight A's in College, and although it's possible, it's not going to be easy so I need to make sure I get my mind right. 

1 comment:

  1. Tierra --

    I'm glad that college is going so well for you so far! As you noted, it will get harder, but the good foundation you built in high school is serving you well now. Plus, you really get out of college what you put in, and since you're putting a lot in (at least from what I can tell), it's going well. To be frank, college is pretty easy if you find something you really love and focus on that moving forward. But sometimes that's the hardest part.

    Thanks for your honest comments and your good work, as always.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete